Deburring & Finishing Technologies is a leading provider of abrasive flow machining (AFM) services and extrude hone media to businesses and industries in Cleveland and the entire state of Ohio. Our extrude hone media is ideal for precision material removal, polishing, and surface finishing of metal, ceramic, and plastic parts. It can be customized to match your specific project requirement to achieve the desired surface finish for just about any type of part.
Abrasive Flow Machining in Cleveland OH
Extrude hone media is a component of the abrasive flow machining (AFM) process. AFM is used to smooth polish and remove surface imperfections from a workpiece. The AFM process improves the performance, durability, and quality of finished parts.
Some of the benefits of the AFM include:
- Greatly reduced surface roughness
- Finishes hard-to-reach inner surfaces
- Shorter cycle times
- Roughing and finishing can be completed with a single pass
- Provides consistent and repeatable results
The Abrasive Flow Machining Process
During the AFM finishing process, a specially formulated, viscoelastic abrasive media is forced, or extruded, through the part’s internal passages or cavities under pressure, using a hydraulic or pneumatic system. The media erodes away burrs and other imperfections as it’s forced against and along the surface of a part, delivering consistent and uniform material removal. The pace at which this material is removed depends on several factors, including media flow rate, abrasive concentration, particle size, workpiece hardness, and media viscosity.
Some of the abrasive materials used in extrude hone media include:
- Aluminum oxide – a versatile abrasive used for the surface finishing and deburring of metal and non-metal parts.
- Boron carbide – A high-performance abrasive used for hard materials.
- Diamond – An extremely hard abrasive used for the precision finishing of hard or brittle materials.
- Polycrystalline diamond (PCD) – A synthetic diamond material used for the precision finishing of composites, ceramics, and other hard materials.
- Silicon carbide – Used for finishing hard materials like ceramics and metal.
Cleveland OH Industries That Benefit From AFM Finishing
Many businesses and industries in Cleveland, OH, and surrounding communities use AFM in their manufacturing processes:
- Automotive. AFM is used to finish a wide range of components, including engine and transmission parts.
- Electronics. AFM is used to polish and deburr electronics components such as connectors, circuit boards, semiconductors, etc.
- Medical. AFM is ideal for the precision finishing of surgical instruments, implants, and other medical devices.
- Energy. AFM is used in the energy industry to finish components used in oil and gas exploration and production.
- Aerospace. AFM improves the performance and reliability of turbine blades, fuel injectors, and other aerospace components.
AFM Finishing and Custom Extrude Hone Media in Cleveland OH
Any business in Cleveland OH that relies on precision material removal, surface finishing, or the polishing of metal, plastic, or ceramic parts can benefit from Deburring & Finishing Technologies’ experience and capabilities when it comes to AFM services and abrasive flow media. This includes extrude hone media formulated to your specific needs. Contact us through our website or call us at (412) 849-1522 to learn more about abrasive flow machining in Cleveland, OH.